Unplanned outage: Klamath Falls customers and backbone link, 8/31/2010, 11:37 to now

David Crowe, Jr. crowed at nero.net
Tue Aug 31 22:33:37 PDT 2010

On 08/31/2010 05:04 PM, Stephen Fromm wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 13:20 -0700, Josh Ward wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> NERO just received an update from Hunter on the status of the outage.
>> They believe that the fibre in question has either been crushed or
>> nicked.  They are still working to pinpoint the exact location of the
>> damage.
>>
>> They indicated that service would likely be interrupted until this evening.
>>
>> We will follow up with any additional information that we receive.
>
> Hunter has identified the damaged fiber and will shorty begin splice
> work to effect the repair.  ETR is presently 22:30.  Customers not
> presently affected by the outage may experience downtime as the splice
> work progresses.

Connectivity to all sites and the backbone circuit have been restored
and traffic should be flowing normally now.  If any Klamath Falls area
customers are still experiencing issues please contact the NERO NOC:

email: noc at nero.net
voice: 541-346-6376

For your enjoyment, I've attached a couple of pictures of the damaged
locations; Hunter Communications indicates this occurred 160 ft in the
air and 3000 ft from the nearest road.

Sincerely,

David Crowe, Jr.                        Email:      crowed at nero.net
Director, NERO Network                  Phone:      541.346.1698
UO Computing Center                     FAX:        541.346.4397
1225 Kincaid
Eugene, OR 97401                        GPG Key ID: 9DEDD126

Fingerprint: 4860 7B9E D68F E95F 49CC  D074 CE8F 9483 9DED D126