Unplanned outage: Denial of Service attack

Stephen Fromm stephenf at nero.net
Thu Jun 2 11:47:42 PDT 2005

NERO experienced a denial of service attack against one of our customers
connected to the Portland hub.  The attack itself was around 09:23.
Unfortunately, the scale of the attack resulted in a collateral loss of
connectivity for other NERO customers.  Service for affected customers
restored within 40 minutes.  The collateral loss was caused by route
dampening in the larger Internet, which affected the time to recover.
The following customers were affected by this outage:

Lane ESD
Malheur ESD
Regional Information Service
Southern Oregon ESD
Springfield Public Schools
Umatilla Morrow ESD

Connectivity restored at approximately 11:00 this morning.  If you are
still experiencing problems, please contact the NERO NOC.  We will
continue to watch for any indication of recurrence.

The NERO NOC can be reached at:

email: noc at nero.net
voice: 541-346-6376

--
Stephen Fromm                         Voice     : 541.346.1712
NERO Operations & Systems Engineer    Fax       : 541.346.4397
UO Computing Center                   Email     : stephenf at nero.net
1225 Kincaid St                       GPG KeyID : A852499F
Eugene, OR 97403-1212
GPG Key Fingerprint: 3EFB 33B7 051C 16B4 03BD  85F3 32FE 7E8D A852 499F